Thursday, November 11, 2010

The word is: BELIEVE

I have given in. I bought some Christmas decorations today. Even if some stores start displaying their Christmas inventory as early as August, I try to wait until after Halloween to start thinking about Christmas. And with my family's impending move and the plethora of still-packed boxes around our small temporary home, it's also kinda hard for me to get in the holiday mood what with the tight quarters and the chaos. Plus, there's literally NO PLACE to put a Christmas tree in this house. It's looking as though we'll still be here this Christmas, however, and I may have to settle for a mini-tree on the mantel and a few small decorations on a table or two... and I will start planning for Christmas galore at our new home in 2011. But I suppose that's OK. The wait will be worth it!

I thought I'd share a Christmas card today. It's done in shades of green and pink with pearly touches. Not your traditional Christmas color scheme, but it's soft and cool and I like it! The "Believe" greeting is my design from THIS clear set (also available HERE as an individual wood or cling rubber stamp). I used Hero Arts celadon paper, Magical Background, as well as pearls and a jewel from their Earth Mixed Accents (love those). Memory Box pear collage stamp (paper pieced & layered with some sweet Memory Box paper), and the ink is my all-time favorite green, Tim Holtz' Peeled Paint Distress ink. Love it!

Today is Veterans' Day. Here in Folsom we have an amazing parade, complete with my favorite Marching Band. The parade was started several years ago by the incredible Wayne Spence, a true American Hero who is now in Heaven. Wayne and his sweet wife Jane (yep — Wayne & Jane, so cute!) are just the best people. Love them! I hope you all will take some time today to thank a Veteran near you for all they have done and sacrificed for our nation and our world. And if your favorite Veteran is no longer with us, then bless them, and bless you, too.

"Do you know what a soldier is, young man? He's the chap who makes it possible for civilized folk to despise war." —Allan Massie