Monday, December 20, 2010

The word is: SNOWFLAKE

I have a thing for snowflakes. I think they are beeee-utiful. How amazing they are! I live where it doesn't snow, so I don't see many snowflakes IRL. But I love them just the same. This year I have used lots of snowflakes in my holiday preparations. I bought cello bags embossed with snowflakes for packing goodies in. I have some luscious wrapping paper that's black with white snowflakes on it (and it's extra wide - perfect for wrapping those large gifts!), and my cards (all 70 of them - thought I'd never finish) and gift tags are covered with snowflakes this year. I hope to get them photographed and share them here soon. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

So, some friends and I tried to go to the mall tonight to watch a "spontaneous" random act of culture, the singing of the Hallelujah Chorus by a large "random" group of vocalists. Unfortunately the "spontaneous" nature of the event was sorta destroyed by facebook, twitter, email and other explosive word of mouth. Suffice it to say that we couldn't even get close to the mall. Police had to close and evacuate it due to the excessive crowds and worries that the food court balcony was in peril of collapse under the weight of 5000-plus eager singers. It was crazy. What a mess. What was intended to be a lovely display of true Christmas spirit turned ugly in a hurry. Google "Roseville Galleria Flash Mob" for more info. Luckily nobody was hurt. But I'd bet that's the end of this type of event in these parts. Bummer.

Oh well. We made it home safely. Now it's time for bed! It's been really cold here today (by central valley standards) and I am ready to don my snuggly pjs and wool socks and get my warm on! Good night. Only five days until Christmas! Are you ready?

"Christmas isn't a season; it's a feeling." —Edna Ferber