Friday, August 20, 2010

The word is: GRATITUDE

So I think that every post should be titled "Gratitude." It's something I need to be reminded of. It's something I should have more of. It's something I think about often. It's so easy to get caught up in all of the little (and not so little) daily struggles of life and forget to step back and say, "wow, I am so blessed!" And I know I am. My trials are many but they are manageable if only I keep the proper perspective. A family from our church is dealing right now with their oldest son (and old is a relative term here: he is eight) battling cancer. It's a fast-growing malignancy that originated in one of his kidneys and it's a pretty serious deal. The tumor is called a neuroblastoma, and so far in the past few months I believe this amazing little guy has had four rounds of chemotherapy, a bone marrow/stem cell harvest, at least one surgery, several transfusions, and countless stays in the hospital. Major surgery is scheduled for September, where they'll remove his non-functioning kidney, look at his liver, and attempt to remove at least part of the tumor, which is currently encasing his aorta. That will be followed by more chemo and then radiation. Wow. This family has four younger sons as well, and needless to say their lives have been turned upside down by this situation. But through it all, what a strength and example they have been to all who know them! They are my heroes, and a daily reminder that I have nothing to complain about. And also that life is a gift, every single day of it, and we need to lift ourselves out of the daily muck and be thankful that the sun rises and we have air to breathe and a father in Heaven who loves us and knows us better than we know ourselves! Life is beautiful. Always remember that. No matter what.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." —John Fitzgerald Kennedy