Friday, August 27, 2010

Things that go Bump in the Night...

I admit that I have been having all together too much fun playing with my new Halloween stamps and making Halloween cards. I do believe, when I really stop and think about it, that Halloween really is kind of a weird holiday that has morphed from what it started as many years ago into something completely different today. And there was this seasonal Halloween store that was in my town for a few months last year that had (although I never went in there; I just had to walk past it often enough to be disturbed) VERY creepy and disgusting "decorations" too morbid and gross to describe (think death and dismemberment, and lots of fake blood)... I guess if a person were to focus just on what has become the "FUN" side of Halloween (cute kids, candy, leaving treats on your neighbors' doorsteps, sending cards, carving pumpkins and having parties) and forget the evil satanic death-loving aspects that some people choose to embrace, then I do agree that Halloween has an enjoyable side to it. So... in that light, I have been making cards and having fun. Okay. All right. Okay.

Here is a card I made using some papers from my stash, and also two of my new stamp designs: Eek and Bump in the Night. Both are available as parts of a clear set or as stand-alone wood or clings, all from Impression Obsession. You can also see them, as well as more of my Halloween designs, HERE. I stamped the "Bump in the Night" image with Versamark ink, then embossed it with white embossing powder. The spider was drawn freehand and embellished with Hero Arts black metallic decors. The result was a card that was fun, and just a little creepy, but hopefully only creepy in a good way.

Rich and I went out to eat Thai food (yum) tonight with our dear friends Pam and Richard. We go way back with Pam & Richard, all the way to our single days. Amazing to think how many years that's been... They are great people, they have great kids, and we have so much in common that we could sit and talk with them for hours. Love them! Tomorrow morning it's out to the farmer's market then maybe I will hit a few garage sales. And Rich has asked me to make some banana and/or zucchini bread, so we'll probably get that going in the afternoon, or maybe on Sunday after church. Then a nap on Sunday afternoon. How I love a good snooze. Sounds like another delightful weekend!

"When witches go riding and black cats are seen,
The moon laughs and whispers, 'tis near Halloween!" —unknown

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties,
And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!" —Scottish Saying