Thursday, April 14, 2011

Motivation and Gray Matter

I am priming our kitchen island today. We've removed the cabinet and drawer fronts, and right now the island is a large gray box and I have very sore knees! This remodeling business is hard work and I am old. I have said that many times and it is true! I'll give the primer the rest of the day to dry and then tomorrow the black paint goes on. It will be exciting to see whether it looks like the picture in my mind. I think it will and I can't wait (also can't wait until it's all finished and I can relax for a bit). Ah, good times.

The night before last I attended an ABWA (American Business Women's Association) meeting with my pal Lisa, where we listened to a speaker tell us how to envision our futures and achieve our goals. It was a lot of what I'd heard before, but a few things did stick with me. She talked about the concept of NOW-HOW-WOW, which is to take stock of where you are NOW, then put into place an action plan on HOW you will achieve your goals, so you will be able to one day look back and see the changes and success you've accomplished and say, WOW. I admit that I am pretty good with the coming up with ideas and the setting of goals, but I am somewhat less good in following them through. I do know that if I am to truly change my life for the better, I am the only person who can make that happen (that is unless a bag of money falls out of the sky and lands at my feet). And financial reward is only one way of measuring success, of course, and I have re-committed myself to striving for success in the various aspects of my life. This has involved setting specific milestones, making lists (actually writing them down, not just thinking about them!), and putting into place other methods for measuring my progress. I know I am not getting any younger and NOW is the time to make more things happen! I am the boss of me!

"Bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other." —Abraham Lincoln

"Diligence is the mother of good fortune." —Benjamin Disraeli