Thursday, March 24, 2011

Shades of Green

It seems I have developed a recent obsession with the color green. I just can't help myself. Love, love, love. While I am still searching for the perfect mossy-chartreuse green cardigan sweater, since we moved into our new-old home in January I have collected no less than seven or eight ceramic pots in various sizes, shapes and shades of green to display and hold potted herbs in the garden window of our kitchen. I also painted two walls in our kitchen a lovely shade of green called "Rye Grass," and today I came across this photo of a window box filled with greenery - all kinds of greenery, and I do believe I will attempt to re-create this look in a planter on my front porch. It is lovely and stunning and I adore this look. So warm, homey, welcoming, soothing, relaxing... all things good! Windowbox is by The Antique Gardner in Sutter Creek, CA, and photo is from Dreamy Whites.

Our kitchen remodel is shaping up. Awesome Contractor Man Rob finished laying our floor tile yesterday (yucky vinyl floor is GONE, man!), and today we grout (sore knees and arms for this weekend, no doubt!). Counter top installation got delayed a bit due to materials held up as they were coming over the snow-bound Sierra mountains, but we now hear that they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Then the tile backsplash, then the new appliances come in (I cannot WAIT for my new five-burner convection range and super-quiet and super-sleek new dishwasher. I am simply aching to get cooking in my
nueva cocina! And speaking of green, I treated myself to a new six-quart enamel cast iron Dutch oven (color: green) that I will put to good use in the new oven. Soups, stews, beans, chickens, pot roasts... the possibilities are endless! So excited... (question: how lame is it to get this excited about kitchen appliances? Do I need to get out more? Uh, probably, but I am still jazzed nonetheless! Call me a dork, it's ok.)

Weather here has been treacherous lately. So much rain and wind, and loads of snow in the mountains. Trees and fences falling down. Car wrecks, broken umbrellas and flooded roads. Will Spring ever come? I am ready! I know we need the water, but please, is it enough yet? Hope so! And I should add that after the storms abated today we were rewarded with several brilliant rainbows in the sky. It was a spectacular sight. Someone up there loves us!

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." —Langston Hughes

"Weather is a great metaphor for life: sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella." —Terri Guillemets