Monday, November 21, 2011

Who I Want to Be, and What I Want to Have

This week is my birthday, which is another reminder that I am getting older, as are we all. Life has thrown me some curves over the years, and I've learned some things I never fathomed I would have to face and grown in ways I never knew I had the strength to grow. All in all I can honestly say that I am grateful for my trials, and most especially I am grateful for the things I know to be true that help me deal with what comes along. And at the very top of the list of what I am thankful for are my wise and kind husband and my Savior Jesus Christ. Looking back at the person I was when I was a child, and seeing the road I have traveled to get to this point in my life where I have been married for almost 24 years and have raised both of my children into adulthood (although the parenting continues, most happily, and oh how I love those "grown up" children of mine!), I know with a surety that I am thankful for the road. Of course I want that road to continue to be a long and fruitful one, because I still have lots of things I wish to accomplish in my life, and I know I still have lots of things to learn as well. But what a road it's been, and what a road it continues to be. Life is good, and even when it doesn't feel so good I know I am receiving opportunities for learning and growth.

I read some very inspiring words today, written by a very wise man in 2004. This message is titled "Peace of Conscience and Peace of Mind" and you can read it HERE. I found it to be very inspiring, and it did indeed bring me peace, which is what I was searching for.

How interesting life can be, and what a blessing each day is. As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday, my goal is to remember this, and to remind myself to always be grateful for the simple gifts of life, and of love, and peace.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you... Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  —John 14:27

"Peace is its own reward."  —Gandhi